And so I return to my little corner of the internet once again! So often I find something on the internet that inspires me and wish I had a space to share it. Even if (as will probably be the case) no one reads it; it's still satisfying to have somewhere to document it, on a personal level.
So today I made the decision to stop using my Facebook. I suppose the site (to me anyway) was an addictive trap and I feel somewhat liberated already. I think the site has many benefits (keeping up with events and friends you don't get much of a chance to see), but I was beginning to feel in subtle ways it was making me a little egotistical- I'd somehow accumulated far too many 'friends' and felt strangely self conscious about people I rarely associate with making judgements about me based on that web page. Overly paranoid? Probably. But I just couldn't seem to simply use the site less, so I figured I'd cut it out of my life completely.
I think that my use of Facebook was this feeling I needed to be with 'people' all the time, but these virtual connections were never as satisfying and I'd feel strangely lonely all the time instead of just enjoying my own company. I'm probably being especially incoherent expressing this; but it certainly would be an interesting social thing to study. It's going to be more effort to stay in touch with some people now, but I like the notion that I can go back to sending emails and calling people. And in all the time I used to waste on Facebook, I can actually spend picking up some creative pursuits and hobbies again. I can't help but think back to how much more creative I was before I discovered social networking sites...
Anyway, I want to share a truly beautiful youtube clip I discovered today. A cover of Joanna Newsom's 'On A Good Day' by Robin Pecknold (of Fleet Foxes.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment